The leisure business is at present trapped in a vortex of consideration, skepticism and onerous fought negotiations because it pertains to expertise compensation, however its highest earners are nonetheless cashing colossal paychecks. Because the methods wherein main studios distribute their greatest merchandise adjustments, so too should the methods wherein Hollywood’s greatest stars are paid. Within the pandemic, that has pressured each side to navigate the ever evolving panorama of shortened theatrical home windows, premium video on demand, straight-to-streaming, and hybrid releases. This has led to some high-profile headlines surrounding Warner Bros.’ determination to ship its total 2021 movie slate to HBO Max and Scarlett Johansson’s ongoing lawsuit towards Disney over Black Widow.
However what does the precise top-tier A-list hierarchy seem like by way of Hollywood salaries? From the surface wanting in, fairly darn comfy! The envy-inducing totals these extremely paid stars obtain could bitter your temper for the remainder of the day. However due to Selection‘s reviews on the largest movie and TV salaries, we at the least have an understanding of contemporary expertise compensation on the highest ranges. Right here’s the High 10 for each mediums.
- Daniel Craig ($100 million for 2 Knives Out sequels)
- Dwayne Johnson ($50M for Crimson One)
- Will Smith ($40M for King Richard)
- Denzel Washington ($40M for The Little Issues)
- Leonardo DiCaprio ($30M for Don’t Look Up)
- Mark Wahlberg ($30M for Spenser Confidential)
- Jennifer Lawrence ($25M for Don’t Look Up)
- Julia Roberts ($25M for Go away the World Behind)
- Sandra Bullock ($20M for The Misplaced Metropolis of D)
- Ryan Gosling ($20M for The Gray Man)
(Observe: these sums embrace streaming backend buyouts)
Netflix’s $469 million acquisition of two Knives Out sequels from filmmaker Rian Johnson netted Daniel Craig a mind-boggling windfall. Who would have thought Benoit Blanc may out-earn James Bond? Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson has typically been amongst Hollywood’s highest-paid stars and his upcoming universe-building collaboration with Amazon, the Christmas-themed Crimson One, isn’t any exception.
What’s fascinating to notice in regards to the movie listing is that 5 titles — Knives Out sequels, Don’t Look Up, Spenser Confidential, Go away the World Behind, The Gray Man — all belong to Netflix. Maybe it’s no shock that the Netflix Mannequin of expertise compensation, massive upfront sums that buyout the backend, have gotten the norm throughout the business.
- Chris Pratt ($1.4M per episode for Terminal Listing)
- Jeff Bridges ($1M per episode for The Outdated Man)
- Bryan Cranston ($750k per episode for Your Honor)
- Sarah Jessica Parker, Cynthia Nixon, Kristin Davis ($650k-$750k per episode for And Simply Like That…)
- Kate Winslet ($650k per episode for Mare of Easttown)
- Viola Davis, Michelle Pfeiffer, Gillian Anderson ($600k per episode for The First Woman)
- Pedro Pascal ($600k per episode for The Final of Us)
- Steve Martin, Martin Quick ($600k per episode for Solely Murders within the Constructing)
- Alec Baldwin ($575k for Dr. Loss of life)
- Brian Cox ($400k-$500k for Succession)
Not a single collection amongst tv’s High 10 salaries hails from broadcast. As a substitute, the listing is dominated by streaming companies akin to Amazon Prime Video (Terminal Listing), Hulu (The Outdated Man) and HBO Max (And Simply Like That…) in addition to premium cable akin to HBO (Mare of Easttown, Succession, The Final of Us) and Showtime (The First Woman). It goes to point out you the place the small display screen energy lies lately. Selection additionally reviews that Robert Downey Jr. is rumored to have earned $2 million per episode for A24’s Vietnam Struggle thriller The Sympathizer on HBO, although the outlet didn’t embrace this on its official listing.