Earlier this week, Thomasville, N.C.-based nationwide less-than-truckload (LTL) provider Outdated Dominion Freight Line introduced it’s once more rising its nationwide footprint, with the addition of six new and expanded services going again to February 2021.
Firm officers stated that every of those new service facilities is constructed or renovated to offer best-in-class services to enhance operations. And so they added that the corporate’s latest investments centered on including doorways, upgrading its fleet and repair heart automobiles, and hiring further drivers will enable it to handle ongoing capability challenges because the economic system rebounds submit COVID-19.
“Our record-breaking first and second quarters display that freight demand is at unprecedented ranges. We anticipate the expansion to proceed because the economic system rebounds, so it’s vital we proceed to put money into capability,” stated Chip Overbey, senior vice chairman of strategic growth at Outdated Dominion Freight Line, in a press release. “With our six new and upgraded services, we’re concentrating on a few of the fastest-growing areas within the U.S. to make sure shippers in these areas have entry to the superior transportation service they should meet their very own buyer demand.”
Outdated Dominion’s new service heart openings are positioned in Benicia, Calif., Phoenixville, Pa., and Kenosha, Wis., which brings its complete depend to 248 service facilities, and it additionally relocated and/or expanded three extra services in Colorado Springs, Colo., Milford, Conn. and Warren, Ohio. What’s extra, previously 10 years, ODFL has spent $1.7 billion in increasing its service heart community, which is the equal of a 50% improve in door depend throughout that interval.
Specifics concerning these ODFL services are comprised of the next:
- the 20-door Benicia facility will broaden protection in-between its San Francisco and Sacramento service facilities. The new facility will enable Outdated Dominion to raised service its wine nation clients in Napa, Sonoma, and the encircling space, eliminating three main day by day bridge crossings for vans coming from the San Francisco space;
- the 55-door Phoenixville facility opened in response to quickly rising freight quantity throughout Pennsylvania. The service heart covers an space between its Philadelphia facility and different Outdated Dominion service facilities in the course of the state, simplifying a area that was beforehand serviced out of 4 completely different facilities throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. Its 40-mile service space is anticipated to develop, and its prime location between main Pennsylvania Routes 76, 422, and 100 – in addition to its further land with house for 30 extra doorways – positions it effectively to deal with rising buyer demand;
- Outdated Dominion opened the 103-door Kenosha facility as southeastern Wisconsin – Kenosha and Racine counties particularly – noticed main enterprise progress. The Firm as soon as serviced the world out of its Milwaukee service heart however wanted a facility nearer to its rising variety of distribution, manufacturing, packing, and pharmaceutical clients. The service heart’s location is simply two miles from I-94, and its out there house for a further 51 doorways will enable it to develop alongside the burgeoning enterprise group;
- Colorado Springs, Colo. – Outdated Dominion’s third Colorado service heart covers the mountainous area south of Denver. The power’s proximity to I-25 permits drivers fast and easy accessibility to the world’s quite a few producers. The placement is primed for progress with loads of room to broaden – as much as 22 further doorways. 4 new staff joined the Outdated Dominion household when the 11-acre facility opened;
- Milford, Conn., – The Milford facility permits Outdated Dominion to supply superior service to clients alongside coastal Connecticut, overlaying further areas together with New Haven, Bridgeport, Norwalk, and Greenwich. The service heart, close to I-95, has 49 doorways throughout greater than six acres of land; and
- Warren, Ohio – The newly expanded Warren, Ohio facility – elevated from two acres to fifteen acres, with a further 9 staff – permits it to develop its Youngstown/japanese Ohio buyer base and add service for western Pennsylvania shippers. The 60-door facility has room for a further 24 doorways sooner or later, and its location close to the Ohio Turnpike and SR 76 permits for handy entry to clients’ areas.
ODFL Senior VP of Operations Dave Bates informed LM that the corporate is vast open with its actual property investments.
“We’ve got all the time been on the forefront of doing that and have by no means actually taken the foot off the fuel, understanding that we need to hold increasing our community to have the ability to construct our service heart capability and our door capability,” he stated. “The problem we’re working into now’s that in choose markets, the place it’s more durable to seek out industrial actual property, and for those who do discover one thing, it usually looks as if somebody doesn’t desire a trucking firm close to them in order that they sort of push again. We face that problem as effectively.”
Bates defined that the majority of ODFL’s selections as they relate to the place and when to open up a service heart are based mostly on metrics included in what it calls a door stress report, which measures the [number] of shipments pushing throughout every dock door over a time frame.
“As we see these numbers escalating in sure markets, that triggers the motion for some kind of growth or spin-off of a sure service heart in that market,” he stated. “That’s how we gauge what we’ve got performed through the years, nonetheless, with issues as tight as they’ve been with discovering actual property, we’ve got had property come out there, or perhaps a vacant service heart come out there, and we might not be prepared right this moment to broaden in that market, however we’d within the subsequent four-to-five years so we are going to leap on one thing simply to have the ability to have that useful resource after we want it.”
Subscribe to our e-mail e-newsletter and we’ll hold you recent.