Analysis-backed insights on piano pupil retention with Karen Gerelus
This episode options visitor Karen Gerelus talking on research-based insights about piano pupil retention.
SEND ME FUTURE EPISODES
Transcript of the present about piano pupil retention
Should you’d wish to obtain a PDF transcript of this episode, please click on beneath.
On this episode, you’ll find out how extrinsic and intrinsic motivation impacts piano pupil retention:
- [03:47] A brief introduction on Karen and her studio.
- [05:58] Speaking about her analysis work referred to as Parting Methods with Piano Classes – evaluating motivation between persevering with and dropout piano college students.
- [08:17] Specializing in retention in her analysis.
- [11:46] Key elements for college kids quitting.
- [12:59] The affect of oldsters being within the music lesson.
- [15:16]Self-Willpower Principle
- [19:30] Motivating youngsters externally at first is okay. Hopefully, the intrinsic will take over.
- [22:27] Karen shares her personal story on quitting and coming again to piano.
- [27:16] Explaining the quote “There isn’t any relationship between observe time and motivation.”
- [28:15] Ideas for lecturers about working towards and having a tough-love stance, a tough stance on, or being relaxed about it.
- [32:42] Karen talks about what she discovered about college students dropping out due to the shortage of widespread repertoire.
- [37:57] The explanation why lecturers are sometimes fairly immune to providing autonomy in musical alternative of their classes?
- [40:01] Giving college students show-off items to spice up their confidence and retain their curiosity.
- [42:05] Suggestions for bridging the hole between exterior motivation and inner self-motivation in college students.
- [48:57] Karen talks about essentially the most fundamental level of her analysis.
Hyperlinks Talked about
About our Visitor
Karen Gerelus is a third-generation piano trainer and scholar whose work has been featured in outstanding tutorial journals and pedagogy conferences. She holds a Grasp of Arts in Piano Pedagogy, a number of artist diplomas, and is at the moment a doctoral candidate on the College of Calgary the place her analysis focuses on id and motivation in piano college students. Discover her work at GerelusMusic.com.
In the present day’s Sponsor
Thanks for tuning in!
In conclusion, there are a variety of podcasts you may be tuning into right this moment, and I’m grateful that you just’ve chosen mine. Whether or not you’re on the fitness center, on the bike or within the automotive, I do know that you just and your college students will get tons out of what you study in the long term.
Simply be sure you check out among the concepts earlier than they get misplaced within the enterprise of your subsequent classes!
Should you loved right this moment’s present, please share it by utilizing the social media buttons on the left of the web page.
Additionally, kindly think about taking the 60-seconds it takes to go away an trustworthy evaluate and ranking for the podcast on iTunes or on my Fb web page. Opinions are extraordinarily useful with regards to present’s rating and you may wager that I learn each single one in every of them personally.
Lastly, don’t overlook to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get computerized updates each time a brand new episode goes stay.